Friday, July 22, 2011

a few answers to a few of your questions....

alrighty...
i've had several questions over the last few weeks,
many of which are from readers that don't have an email attached to their account.
so hopefully i can remember them all & do this all in one post.
 & i also want to add a disclaimer.
the last thing i want to look like is a name dropping brand snob.
 because that's so tacky.
so please don't think i'm a name dropping brand snob.
here goes...

savannah's tunic from this post is a tory burch.
& nope she certainly did not pony up the original retail,
she got it for a song! 
the score of the century!
mine is a cheapie find from marshalls. since it was a cheapie, i bought a few colors.
  they are actually yoga tops
from marika

cek's adorable retro skirted two piece from the last post was a gift but is from Janie & Jack.
all her older sisters wanted matching ones. but they only go up to a girl's size 12!

i have not read "Men and Dogs" yet
nor have i finished "Reading Jackie".
dan just began "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand
& is on my list to read.

the gold monogram necklace savannah is wearing in the sunflower shoot 
is a john wind, maximal art
it was a graduation gift from a dear friend.
 their pieces are gorgeous and are both classic and elegant.
she also received this one & it's equally as beautiful in person.
she almost always has on one of them.



ok sasha, i know you asked about my camera settings a while ago. forgive the delay!
let me tell ya, i have yet to arrive.
i'm still shooting on aperture priority. one of these days i'll go full manual but until then...
i primarily shot with my iso on 100 but played around and did some on 200 & 400.
white balance on auto and should have remembered tungsten when i shot inside the redbar.
  i'm usually wide open with 2.8.  i mainly used my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. 
but last year i took my canon 50 1.4 and often times had my aperture a little more open in the lower 2's.
i also love to shoot into the sun during the magic hour
& am in a constant quest for backlighting.
i love a silhouette framed by the sun.
sometimes i get it, sometimes i don't.

on the last morning, just prior to when we pulled off, i had wanted to take another shoot of caroline in one of our fave dresses...which reminds me, someone asked. that one is from crew cuts. we had the gunmetal last year. & lucky you, it's on sale for 50% off right here in some smaller sizes!
& another similar one here.
anyway, i upped my iso to 1600 on several to overexpose the shots & i'm so pleased with how the color turned out. sorta  funky colors.
( you can tell on the lighter ones which were with 1600)
we were in a partially shaded area, but not a single cloud overhead. 
i wished i had blown out some more like this earlier in the week.
here's a few from that shoot, straight out of the camera
sans post processing.

& i want to give a shout out to my sweet man
who has officially lost right at 25 pounds.
he got up every morning while we were at the beach & put in a 4-5 miler!
you look awesome babe!













14 comments:

Deborah said...

Thanks for the question answer post. I'm not into name dropping with material things either so I was to embarrassed to ask about "c's" bathing suit. It's so adorable. I especially love her one piece paisley print. Would you mind letting mr know about that one. I've got a granddaughter and several nieces that i tend to buy a lot of bathing suits for. My daughters would also love them but alas, they haven't seen children's size 12 in more years than I care to remember.

Thanks also for the camera tips. I'm learning to shoot in aperture and I need all the tips I can get. I've always admired your photography skills.

Lastly, your man is looking great. I know your so proud.

Babsarella said...

I am currently "reading" (cds in the car) Men and Dogs. So far it is ok. I am anxious to see where it will go. I read Unbroken (as well as Pioneer Woman's book) over Memorial Weekend and it was FANTASTIC. I didn't want to put it down. I loved it so much I sent one to my Uncle (who flew bombers during WWII) as a father's day gift and he enjoyed it as well.

Unknown said...

I love this post - beautiful photos!!

I have "Unbroken" to read this summer too :)

Caroline has the most gorgeous clothes I have ever seen, love the dress she is wearing :) xx

Louise said...

I don't reply often, but I check your blog EVERYDAY just about. I wandered over from the Cathy Penton site oh, gosh, over 18 months ago, it could be 2 years!! I have been hooked ever since. You have such a beautiful family and home and positive spirit. I think I have shared all that before, on one of my occasional and very infrequent comments . . .but I just want you to know there are people out there (I would IMAGINE I am not the only one who read and really feel a connection to you) who you really know very little about, people who rarely comment and don't have a blog. My family has had some tough times, and we are not as "picture perfect" as your family, but you inspire me that it CAN happen, and yes I am sure y'all are not PERFECT but your hearts all seem pretty perfect to me. You are an inspiration and a hefty dose of positivity in my world. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Would you mind sharing the make and paint color of your porch ceiling? It is a really beautiful color. Your family is beautiful as is your blog!

SouthernProletariat said...

I have two girls (7 and 9) and i love, love, love your blog! I love hearing your heart about rasing your daughters...Now, on an offbeat question: Where do you sell your youngest clothing when she outgrows them?! ;)

Alecia said...

Dan does look great...way to go!!! Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the camera tutorial...I'll have to remember to reference it when I'm playing around with a good camera. I may have another photo shoot on Sunday...so it could be a good time to play around with the settings! :-)

Lou said...

Makes my heart ache for Florida! The pictures are lovely and well done for vacation fitness regimes! Lou x

Chez Zizi said...

Love the post.
Your girls are so photogenic.
Love their clothes too.
Have a great weekend.

Jodi said...

Great photos of caroline, she is such a cutie! I love to hear what the girls are wearing and never once think of you as a name brand dropping snob. I love name brand clothes and really love them when I can get them for a steal! :)

Congrats on Dan's weight loss, that is super! :) And both of you getting up and running on your vacation, great job! :) My hunny has been running and would love to try a 1/2 this year! I tried running, ran my first 5k on Mother's Day, but I have too much trouble with my knees and my breathing(i have terrible allergies).

Take care, Paige and have a great weekend! I am staying inside, super hot in the midwest.
PS, always love all your photos!:)
Jodi

Jessica said...

I would love that dress in my size, it is so cute!

Beautiful photos! I am just now learning to use my camera in "manual" mode - embarassing, as I have had it for over a year now.

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

AWESOME! Actually, that's what I've just started using, but I'm fully in manual right now, and it's tricky because I'll get everything "just so" and it looks great on my little screen, and then once home, the exposure might look different. I suppose this photographing stuff is a work in progress in my world, but I love that you posted how you do it, because it helps! Do you do much editing in photoshop, or what do you use? I keep thinking maybe I need to invest in photoshop but I hear it's very hard to learn...

Love ya girly!
Sasha

TheCatLord said...

i just finished unbroken. i now have a new kind of respect for the pows. it was a hard book to get through, but worth the read.

Ruth said...

I just linked to your blog from the Carol and Company facebook page. Thanks for linking to us and mentioning the John Wind Maximal Art necklace!! Those initial necklaces with the pom pom pearl are gorgeous,and one of our best sellers. I'd like to offer your readers a special discount on them...if you're interested, please email me.

To check out the FB page, go to www.facebook.com/carolandcompany